Young women and men from around the world are invited to participate in this year’s edition of the Goi Peace Foundation - UNESCO International Essay Contest for Young People. The contest is open to anyone up to 25 years old. The deadline for entries is Sunday, 15 June 2014.
On the occasion of the final year of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014), the theme of this year’s contest is “My Role as a Citizen of Earth”.
In the vast universe, we were born on this planet called Earth, where various cultures and ethnicities, all living things, and all of nature exist together. However, in our world today, we face numerous problems -- environmental destruction, resource depletion, wars and conflicts, poverty, and many more -- that make our future uncertain. Given this situation, what do you think is the best way forward for humanity? How do you wish to fulfill your role as a citizen of Earth?
As stipulated in its Operational Strategy on Youth (2014-2021), UNESCO considers that today’s young people are crucial for the shaping of our future. It is imperative that they are enabled to develop to their full potential. Therefore the Organization’s objective is to help empower young people and ensure that their contributions are taken into account.
This annual essay contest is organized by the Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world's youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
Prize winners will receive a cash award, and first prize winners will be invited to Japan for the award ceremony.
We look forward to the participation of many young people from communities from all over the world!
Entries can be sent online through www.goipeace.or.jp
“The most important thing about America”
- All entries for countywide competition are due to Knox County Council PTA by the County Deadline, .
- The Local Unit PTA submitting the entry must be a unit in good standing in accordance with Tennessee PTA Bylaws. To be in good standing a Local Unit PTA must, in summary: adhere to the purposes and policies of PTA, submit a membership report and appropriate due to Tennessee PTA by December 1 (maintaining a minimum membership of 20), have up-to-date bylaws, submit an Audit Report Form to Tennessee PTA by September 1, and file the appropriate Form 990 with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by November 15 and submit a copy of its receipt to Tennessee PTA by November 20.
- County winners will be forwarded to the Tennessee PTA for statewide competition as Council entries by the State Deadline . Local Unit entries not sent to TNPTA by KCC PTA will be returned to you, so you may submit them to TNPTA from your local unit.
- County winners will be honored at the “Celebrating Our Students & Honoring Our Founders” Awards Ceremony.
- State winners will be honored at an event at the Tennessee PTA Convention
For additional Information, please contact Barry Myers, KCC President firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Student Contest Menu Page
Back to Home