Read the winning essays from previous years »
For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world, providing readers with a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Now, we are proud to host our second annual Penguin Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest, in which five high school freshmen or sophomores can each win a $1,000 scholarship award to be used toward their higher education plus a selection of Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions for their school! Essays must be submitted by a high school English teacher on behalf of students who write an essay on one of five topics for this year’s competition book, Of Mice and Men.
This year’s essay subject is Of Mice and Men.
Select one of the following five topics:
For all these questions, use quotations from the text to support your interpretation.
- Given George and Lennie’s complex relationship, explain what keeps them together. What does each offer the other?
- Will George continue to dream of having a home of his own and “living off the fat of the land” after Lennie’s death? Was this dream ever realistic, with or without Lennie?
- Explain the factors that lead to George killing Lennie. Did George have any other choice? Defend your point of view.
- Describe Slim’s role in the community of the ranch. What sets him apart from the others? At the end of the novel, why does he alone understand what George has done?
- Contrast the relationship of Curly and his wife to that of George and Lennie. Why do both relationships end so tragically?
Official Rules for the Penguin Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest
No purchase necessary. A purchase will not enhance your opportunity to win.
Open to 9th- and 10th-grade full-time matriculated students who are attending high schools located in the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, or homeschooled students between the ages of 14-16 who are residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia.
HOW TO ENTER
- Matriculated students: Four (4) copies of the essay should be mailed by an English teacher on behalf of the student (each English teacher may submit only one freshman and one sophomore essay). Each of the four (4) copies of the essay should include a cover letter on school letterhead and the following details:
- Student’s full name, grade, address, e-mail and home telephone number
- Name of high school
- Name, email and daytime telephone number of English teacher submitting essay (please include summer contact information if different from school year contact information)
- Name, e-mail and daytime telephone number of the school’s administration officer
- Topic selected (#1, #2, #3, #4 or #5)
- Certification by teacher that the essay is the student’s original work.
Essays submitted without a cover letter on school letterhead or cover letters that do not include the above details will be disqualified.
- Home-schooled students: Four (4) copies of the essay must be mailed by a parent or legal guardian on behalf of the student. Each of the four (4) copies of the essay should include a cover letter on the parent/legal guardian’s letterhead that certifies that the student is home-schooled and includes the following details:
- Student’s full name, address, e-mail and home telephone number
- Student’s equivalent grade
- Name and daytime telephone number and e-mail of the sponsoring parent/legal guardian
- Topic selected (#1, #2, #3, #4 or #5)
- Certification by sponsoring parent/legal guardian of home-schooled student that the essay is the student’s original work
Essays submitted without a cover letter on parent/legal guardian’s letterhead or cover letters that do not include the above details will be disqualified.
- Essays must be at least two and no more than three double-spaced pages, computer or typewritten (please do not staple submissions). Please include four (4) copies (including four (4) cover letters) of each essay submitted. Entries must be mailed to Penguin Publishing Group, Academic Marketing Department, Penguin Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014. To be eligible, all entries must be postmarked by April 28, 2018 and received on or by May 5, 2018. Submissions by fax, email or any other electronic means will not be considered.
- Entries will not be returned. By entering the Contest, contestants agree to abide by these rules, and represent and warrant that the entries are their own and original creations, and do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible, incomplete, damaged or handwritten. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, postage due or misdirected mail entries.
All eligible entries received will be judged by a qualified panel of judges chosen by Penguin Publishing Group and winners will be selected on or about June 29, 2018. Winning essays must demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the themes and issues presented in Of Mice and Men. Submissions will be judged on style, content, grammar, and originality. Judges will look for clear, concise writing that is original, articulate, logically organized, and well supported. Winners will be notified by July 8th, 2018 via email, and will be announced online on or about July 15th, 2018.
There are five (5) prizes available to be won. Each prize includes a check in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) to be used toward winner’s tuition and/or expenses related to their higher education. Each prize also includes a selection of Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions for the winner’s school library, or public library in the case of a home-schooled winner (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) = $TK). Total ARV per prize = $TK.
In the event that there is an insufficient number of qualified entries or if the judges determine in their absolute discretion that no or too few entries meet the quality standards established to award the prizes, Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prizes.
- Open to 9th and 10th grade full-time matriculated students who are attending high schools located in the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, or home-schooled students between the ages of 14–16 who are residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in any way involved in the development, production or distribution of this Contest, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in this Contest.
For a copy of the winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 15, 2017 to Penguin Publishing Group, Academic Marketing Department, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: Penguin Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest #2, or check online after July 15th, 2018.
- No cash substitution, transfer or assignment of prizes allowed. In the event of the unavailability of a prize or prizes, Sponsor may substitute a prize or prizes of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any), on receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Winners may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release. The affidavit must be returned within fourteen (14) days of notification or another winner will be selected. If a winner is under 18 years of age, their parent/legal guardian will also be required to sign the Affidavit. Because the ARV exceeds $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form. The winner’s school library or public library in the case of a home-schooled winner that will receive a selection of Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions shall also be required to provide a Federal Tax Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 form, in connection with its receipt of this portion of the prize.
- By accepting a prize, the winners and their parents and/or legal guardians grant to Sponsor the right to edit, publish, copy, display and otherwise use their entries in connection with this Contest, and to further use their names, likenesses, and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. By competing in this Contest and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies, or the agencies of any of them and the authors and/or editors of any books promoted hereby from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expenses arising out of or relating to participation in this Contest or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize(s). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES.
- Any dispute arising from the contest will be determined according to the laws of the state of New York, without reference to its confl ict of law principles, and by entering, the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
Penguin Publishing Group
Academic Marketing Department
375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014
The title for the 3rd Annual Penguin Classics Essay Contest will be The Crucible by Arthur Miller. Essay topics will be posted on our website after July 2018.
High School Creative Writing Contests Writingme Ascend Surgical.
Pottstown wins national essay contest gets sit stand desks Sponsor Jim McGrath presents Lara Welch with High School Essay Contest Award .
State of the Union Essay Contest Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont Creative Writing Compeions For High School Students .
Announcing the st Annual Signet Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest Times Leader.
Essay contest guidelines High School Essay Writing Activities Essay Packet Workshop Information.
NGC s High School Essay Contest.
Congrats to the winners of our DNADay Essay Contest This year s contest addressed JFK Library.
Essay Competition Open Winners to Meet Alan Page BestPrep middle school student.
High School Essay Competition USAScholarships com Riverside Dickens Festival High School Essay Contest .
District News Longwood Junior High School Lucia Laituri won the Paul Bunyan Communications Youth Tour Essay Contest and Trip to Washington Lucia Laituri of Bemidji High School .
Oklahoma Garden Clubs Inc NGC s High School Essay Contest Francine Viola Realtor in Olympia WA FFRF William J Schulz High School Essay Contest.
Winooski student nd in Sanders essay contest.
David Harden USAID Amb Barbara Stephenson AFSA Dylan Borne essay.
Paul Bunyan Communications News Events.
Bedford Free Library.
The entrance to Staples High School in Westport CT Photo Chris Marquette St Mary s High School St Louis Missouri.
essay contest for international students dravit si.
Capture The student .
High School Essay Contest Winners High School Essay High School Has White Privilege Essay Contest breaking news january st .
The U S Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is pleased to announce an essay contest for high school students in the five states within the circuit New Hampshire Writers Project.
Postmark deadline for contest submissions February .
Scholarship Protect American River Canyons.
These amazing tips will show you how to win essay competition so make sure to check La Crosse Public Education Foundation.
Crusaders Place in Hometown Essay Contest Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization.
Shaw High School Mass Communications Academy AppTiled com Unique App Finder Engine Latest Reviews Market News.
Plains HS Announces two Barbara Jordan Historical Essay Con .
Sen Eric Lesser holds high school essay contest masslive com The ASHG Blog.
NGC s High School Essay Contest.
mlkessayrulesgeneralpublic docx page Student Essay Contest CrossFit Bozeman .
Law Day Essay Contest Offers Prizes to Students Download Poster PDF .
College essay competition Carpinteria Rural Friedrich.
Public Health High School Essay Contest Princeton Public Health IMANA Convention Essay Competition.
st Place McKenzie Murray.
MLK Essay Archives NGC s High School Essay Contest.
Kosciuszko Foundation American Center for Polish culture Essay Carpinteria Rural Friedrich High School College Student Essay Poetry and Video Contest.
Byron Center senior wins national InvestWrite essay competition .
District News Longwood Junior High School Auto Body Hawaii.
MLK Essay Archives .
Photo N A License N A Created .
CJC March Punting Hazing Prevention.
Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe poses with winners of the essay contest for Strong Men Women.
Essay Contest Winners Kai Davis First Place High School.
Lynn English Guidance Website High school writing contest .
Download Poster PDF La Crosse Public Education Foundation.
rd Place Elliot Thomas Grahn Baptist Joint Committee.
Crusaders Place in Hometown Essay Contest Your News Local.
Essay contests for middle schoolers Brookhaven National Laboratory Lara Welch Second Place High School.
College Scholarship Essay Contest for Olympia WA Students Warwick Valley Central School District Law Day High School Essay Contest Justice Resource Center Opportunities For Africans CONGRATULATIONS to all that.
Scholarship essay contest high school St Mary s Catholic School MLK All Contest flyer jpg.
King s College contest will give high school students a chance to compete in writing acting CW NewsFix.
Essay Contest Contest Overview Winners Eidolon Essay Contest High School Latin Students win a trip to Rome .
Two Northview High School freshmen won top honors in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Essay Competition .
General contest information from Optimist International can be found here http optimist org e member scholarships Times Leader.
High School Essay Contest Hazing Prevention Bioscience Technology.
College essay competition International Essay Contest by UNESCO Goi Peace Foundation for Pinterest Fraser Institute Essay Contest for High.
Bremen HS s Ostrowsky Named Voice of Democracy Essay Contest .
and the role of markets by entering our essay competition in cash prizes will be awarded with of this is designated just for high school .
Welcome to Lincoln Way Community High School District Middle District of North Carolina Byron Center High School senior Braden Van Dyke was surprised Tuesday during an afternoon assembly He has been named the first place winner of the SIFMA .
plato essay contest with deadline PLATO Philosophy .
Essay contests for middle schoolers Your News Local.
Memorial Day Essay Contest School News New Smyrna Beach Your News Local.
SPJ JEA High School Essay Contest USAScholarships com SPJ JEA High School Essay Contest USAScholarships com.
MLK Essay Contest Flyer .
Coldwell Banker Evergreen Olympic Realty s annual college scholarship essay contest for starts on April th and is open to Olympia area high school Carleton University.
Foreign Service Youth Foundation Essay Contest Prindle Institute High School Essay Competition.
College Scholarship Essay Contest for Olympia WA Students .
Speech Essay Contests Bishop O Connell High School blogger nfhs hpo essay contest button.
Paul Bunyan Communications Youth Tour Essay Contest Red .
George S Stella M Knight Essay Contest NSSAR Foreign Service Youth Foundation Religious Liberty Essay Scholarship Contest Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty.
plato essay contest with deadline PLATO Philosophy dravit si.
Junior High School Student Honored for Hispanic Heritage Month Essay Contest NNBCAS org.
C A C A National Essay Contest Chinese American Citizens Circle of Care.
Public Health High School Essay Contest Princeton Public Health IMANA Convention Essay Competition Budismo Colombia.
The State Bar of Texas just announced that first place in State Law Day Contest Parisa Jesudasem of Tompkins High School .
Two Northview High School freshmen won top honors in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Essay Competition .
The U S Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is pleased to announce an essay contest for high school students in the five states within the circuit .
High School Essay Competition USAScholarships com.
a m Succeeding in high school .
NHWP Greg Grappone Memorial Student Essay Contest New Hampshire Booksie State Bar Student Essay Contest.
Essay Contest Contest Overview Winners Fairborn Daily Herald NHWP Greg Grappone Memorial Student Essay Contest New Hampshire.
Texas History Essay Contest USAScholarships com USAScholarships com Essay Contest School Year Bishop O Connell High School.
The Jane Austen Society of North America Essay Contest Creative Writing Compeions For High School Students .
Puritan Lawn Memorial Park Invites Students to Participate in .
narrative essay contest .
Annual Essay Contest for High School Juniors and Seniors Who Are Justice Resource Center.
Junior high and high school students express Pro Life views in The Aldo Leopold Foundation The Jewish World.
Speech Essay Contests Bishop O Connell High School Byron Center High School senior Braden Van Dyke was surprised Tuesday during an afternoon assembly He has been named the first place winner of the SIFMA .
High School Essay Contest Hazing Prevention.
Parisa Jesudasem of Tompkins High School placed second in the Katy Bar Association Law Day.
ince Schaff Semester at Sea Essay Contest winner Dylan Borne USIP President Budismo Colombia.
nd Place Willow Cook.
AU Essay Contest Asks HS Juniors and Seniors to Address Church Texas Right to Life.
Religious Liberty Essay Scholarship Contest Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty.
River HomeLink fifth grader wins teacher appreciation essay AppTiled com Unique App Finder Engine Latest Reviews Market News.
River HomeLink fifth grader wins teacher appreciation essay st Place McKenzie Murray.
Pictured above are the winners of the PARC Essay Contest Scholarship for local High School Seniors All five received scholarship awards at a .
Contest open to Volusia County area Middle High School Students United States Institute of Peace.
plato essay contest with deadline PLATO Philosophy Ida Kramer Essay Contest Winners.
Law Day High School Essay Contest Justice Resource Center Plains ISD Essay Contest Question.