1. Popkin BM, Doak CM. The obesity epidemic is a worldwide phenomenon. Nutr Rev. 1998;56:106–14.[PubMed]
2. Gupta RK. Nutrition and the Diseases of Lifestyle. In: Bhalwar RJ, editor. Text Book of Public health and Community Medicine. 1st ed. Pune: Department of community medicine AFMC, New Delhi: Pune in Collaboration with WHO India Office; 2009. p. 1199.
3. Bhave S, Bavdekar A, Otiv M. IAP National Task Force for Childhood, Prevention of Adult Diseases: Childhood Obesity. IAP National Task Force for Childhood Prevention of Adult Diseases: Childhood Obesity. Indian Pediatr. 2004;41:559–75.[PubMed]
4. Raj M, Sundaram KR, Paul M, Deepa AS, Kumar RK. Obesity in Indian children: Time trends and relationship with hypertension. Natl Med J India. 2007;20:288–93.[PubMed]
5. Laxmaiah A, Nagalla B, Vijayaraghavan K, Nair M. Factors affecting prevalence of overweight among 12 to 17 year old urban adolescents in Hyderabad, India. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2007;15:1384–90.[PubMed]
6. Subramanyam V, R,J, Rafi M. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in affluent adolescent girls in Chennai in 1981 and 1998. Indian Pediatr. 2003;40:332–6.[PubMed]
7. Chhatwal J, Verma M, Riar SK. Obesity among pre-adolescent and adolescents of a developing country (India) Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13:231–5.[PubMed]
8. Khadilkar VV, Khadilkar AV. Prevalence of obesity in affluent school boys in Pune. Indian Pediatr. 2004;41:857–8.[PubMed]
9. Panjikkaran ST, Kumari K. Augmenting BMI and Waist-Height Ratio for establishing more efficient obesity percentiles among school children. Indian J Community Med. 2009;34:135–9.[PMC free article][PubMed]
10. Williams DP, Going SB, Lohman TG, Harsha DW, Srinivasan SR, Webber LS, et al. Body fatness and risk for elevated blood-pressure, total cholesterol, and serum-lipoprotein ratios in children and adolescents. Am J Public Health. 1992;82:527.[PMC free article][PubMed]
11. Flegal KM, Wei R, Ogden C. Weight-for-stature compared with body mass index-for-age growth charts for the United States from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002;75:761–6.[PubMed]
12. Himes JH, Dietz WH. Guidelines for overweight in adolescent preventive services - Recommendations from an Expert Committee. The Expert Committee on Clinical Guidelines for Overweight in Adolescent Preventive Services. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59:307–16.[PubMed]
13. Ghosh A. Explaining overweight and obesity in children and adolescents of Asian Indian origin: The Calcutta childhood obesity study. Indian J Public Health. 2014;58:125–8.[PubMed]
14. Nawab T, Khan Z, Khan IM, Ansari MA. Influence of behavioral determinants on the prevalence of overweight and obesity among school going adolescents of Aligarh. Indian J Public Health. 2014;58:121–4.[PubMed]
15. Flodmark CE, Lissau I, Moreno LA, Pietrobelli A, Widhalm K. New insights into the field of children and adolescents’ obesity: The European perspective. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28:1189–96.[PubMed]
16. Lazarus R, Baur L, Webb K, Blyth F. Body mass index in screening for adiposity in children and adolescents: Systematic evaluation using receiver operating characteristic curves. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63:500–6.[PubMed]
17. Davison KK, Birch LL. Childhood overweight: A contextual model and recommendations for future research. Obes Rev. 2001;2:159–71.[PMC free article][PubMed]
18. Anderson PM, Butcher KE. Childhood obesity: Trends and potential causes. Future Child. 2006;16:19–45.[PubMed]
19. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Contributing factors. 2010. [Last accessed on 2014 Jul 01]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov//obesity/childhood/contributing_factors.html .
20. Patrick H, Nicklas T. A review of family and social determinants of children's eating patterns and diet quality. J Am Coll Nutr. 2005;24:83–92.[PubMed]
21. Birch LL, Fisher JO. Development of eating behaviours among children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 1998;101:539–49.[PubMed]
22. Story M, Neumark-stainzer D, French S. Individual and environmental influences on adolescent eating behaviours. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002;102:S40–51.[PubMed]
23. Chapman G, Maclean H. “Junk food” and “healthy food”: Meanings of food in adolescent women's culture. J Nutr Educ Behav. 1993;25:108–13.
24. Dublin: Department of Health and Children; 2005. Department of Health and Children. Obesity: The policy challenges: The report of the national taskforce on obesity.
25. Niehoff V. Childhood obesity: A call to action. Bariatric Nursing and Surgical Patient. Care. 2009;4:17–23.
26. Ebbelling CB, Sinclair KB, Pereira MA, Garcia-Lago E, Feldman HA, Ludwig DS. Compensation for energy intake from fast food among overweight and lean adolescents. JAMA. 2004;291:2828–33.[PubMed]
27. Kapil U, Bhadoria AS. Television viewing and overweight and obesity amongst children. [Last accessed on 2014 Jul 11];Biomed J. 2014 37:337–8. Available from: http://biomedj.org/preprintarticle.asp?id = 125654 . [PubMed]
28. Budd GM, Hayman LL. Addressing the childhood obesity crisis. Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2008;33:113–7.[PubMed]
29. Moens E, Braet C, Bosmans G, Rosseel Y. Unfavourable family characteristics and their associations with childhood obesity: A cross-sectional study. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2009;17:315–23.[PubMed]
30. Rawana JS, Morgan AS, Nguyen H, Craig SG. The relation between eating- and weight-related disturbances and depression in adolescence: A review. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2010;13:213–30.[PubMed]
31. Goldfield GS, Moore C, Henderson K, Buchholz A, Obeid N, Flament MF. Body dissatisfaction, dietary restraint, depression, and weight status in adolescents. J Sch Health. 2010;80:186–92.[PubMed]
32. Britz B, Siegfried W, Ziegler A, Lamertz C, Herpertz-Dahlmann BM, Remschmidt H, et al. Rates of psychiatric disorders in a clinical study group of adolescents with extreme obesity and in obese adolescents ascertained via a population based study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000;24:1707–14.[PubMed]
33. Tanofsky-Kraff M, Yanovski SZ, Wilfley DE, Marmarosh C, Morgan CM, Yanovski JA. Eating-disordered behaviors, body fat, and psychopathology in overweight and normal-weight children. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004;72:53–61.[PMC free article][PubMed]
34. Zametkin AZ, Zoon CK, Klein HW, Munson S. Psychiatric aspects of child and adolescent obesity: A review of the past 10 years. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004;43:134–50.[PubMed]
35. Ackard DM, Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Perry C. Overeating among adolescents: Prevalence and associations with weight-related characteristics and psychological health. Pediatrics. 2003;111:67–74.[PubMed]
36. Jansen W, van de Looij-Jansen PM, de Wilde EJ, Brug J. Feeling fat rather than being fat may be associated with psychological well-being in young Dutch adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2008;42:128–36.[PubMed]
37. Renman C, Engstr I, Silfverdal SA, Aman J. Mental health and psychosocial characteristics in adolescent obesity: A population-based case-control study. Acta Paediatr. 1999;88:998–1003.[PubMed]
38. Schwimmer JB, Burwinkle TM, Varni JW. Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. JAMA. 2003;289:1813–9.[PubMed]
39. O’Dea JA. School-based health education strategies for the improvement of body image and prevention of eating problems: An overview of safe and successful interventions. Health Educ. 2005;105:11–33.
40. Austin SB, Haines J, Veugelers PJ. Body satisfaction and body weight: Gender differences and sociodemographic determinants. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:313.[PMC free article][PubMed]
41. Kostanski M, Fisher A, Gullone E. Current conceptualisation of body image dissatisfaction: Have we got it wrong? J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2004;45:1317–25.[PubMed]
42. Lundstedt G, Edlund B, Engström I, Thurfjell B, Marcus C. Eating disorder traits in obese children and adolescents. Eat Weight Disord. 2006;11:45–50.[PubMed]
43. Decaluwxe V, Braet C. Prevalence of binge-eating disorder in obese children and adolescents seeking weight-loss treatment. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003;27:404–9.[PubMed]
44. Decaluwxe V, Breat C, Fairburn CG. Binge eating in obese children and adolescents. Int J Eat Disord. 2003;33:78–84.[PubMed]
45. Cornette R. The emotional impact of obesity on children. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2008;5:136–41.[PubMed]
46. American Academy of Pediatrics. About childhood obesity. [Last accessed 2014 Jul 14]. Available from: http://www.aap.org/obesity/about.html .
1. World Health Organization Fact sheet: obesity and overweight. Available online: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/ (accessed on 5 October 2009).
2. Gill T. Epidemiology and health impact of obesity: an Asia Pacific perspective. Asia Pacific J. Clin. Nutr. 2006;15:3–14.[PubMed]
3. Low S, Chin MC, Deurenberg-Yap M. Review on epidemic of obesity. Ann. Acad. Med., Singapore. 2009;38:57–59.[PubMed]
4. Asia Pacific Cohort Studies Collaboration The burden of overweight and obesity in the Asia-Pacific region. Obes. Rev. 2007;8:191–196.[PubMed]
5. Brown WV, Fujioka K, Wilson PW, Woodworth KA. Obesity: why be concerned? Am. J. Med. 2009;122:S4–11.[PubMed]
6. Guh DP, Zhang W, Bansback N, Amarsi Z, Birmingham CL, Anis AH. The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:88.[PMC free article][PubMed]
7. Yach D, Stuckler D, Brownell KD. Epidemiologic and economic consequences of the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Nature Med. 2006;12:62–66.[PubMed]
8. Muller-Riemenschneider F, Reinhold T, Berghofer A, Willich SN. Health-economic burden of obesity in Europe. Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2008;23:499–509.[PubMed]
9. Zhao W, Zhai Y, Hu J, Wang J, Yang Z, Kong L, Chen C. Economic burden of obesity-related chronic diseases in Mainland China. Obes. Rev. 2008;9:62–67.[PubMed]
10. Anis AH, Zhang W, Bansback N, Guh DP, Amarsi Z, Birmingham CL. Obesity and overweight in Canada: an updated cost-of-illness study Obes Rev 2009. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2009.00579.x. [PubMed]
11. WHO Technical Report Series 894 Obesity: Preventing and Managing The Global Epidemic. World Health Organization; Geneva, Switzerland: 2000. [PubMed]
12. Garrow JS. Treat Obesity Seriously—a Clinical Manual. Churchill Livingstone; Edinburgh, Scotland, UK: 1981.
13. Klein S, Allison DB, Heymsfield SB, Kelley DE, Leibel RL, Nonas C, Kahn R. Waist circumference and cardiometabolic risk: a consensus statement from Shaping America's Health: Association for Weight Management and Obesity Prevention; NAASO, The Obesity Society; the American Society for Nutrition; and the American Diabetes Association. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007;85:1197–1202.[PubMed]
14. Wang JW, Hu DY, Sun YH, Wang JH, Wang GL, Xie J, Zhou ZQ. Obesity criteria for identifying metabolic risks. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 2009;18:105–113.[PubMed]
15. Hsieh SD, Muto T. Metabolic syndrome in Japanese men and women with special reference to the anthropometric criteria for the assessment of obesity: Proposal to use the waist-to-height ratio. Prev. Med. 2006;42:135–139.[PubMed]
16. Vazquez G, Duval S, Jacobs DR, Jr, Silventoinen K. Comparison of body mass index, waist circumference, and waist/hip ratio in predicting incident diabetes: a meta-analysis. Epidemiologic Rev. 2007;29:115–128.[PubMed]
17. Welborn TA, Dhaliwal SS. Preferred clinical measures of central obesity for predicting mortality. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007;61:1373–1379.[PubMed]
18. Bjorntorp P. The associations between obesity, adipose tissue distribution and disease. Acta Med. Scand. Supplementum. 1988;723:121–134.[PubMed]
19. Han TS, Seidell JC, Currall JE, Morrison CE, Deurenberg P, Lean ME. The influences of height and age on waist circumference as an index of adiposity in adults. Int. J. Obes. Related Metab. Disord.: J. Int. Assoc. Study Obes. 1997;21:83–89.[PubMed]
20. Ashwell M. Obesity risk: importance of the waist-to-height ratio Nurs Stand 20092349–54.quiz 55. [PubMed]
21. Han TS, Bijnen FC, Lean ME, Seidell JC. Separate associations of waist and hip circumference with lifestyle factors. Int. J. Epidemiol. 1998;27:422–430.[PubMed]
22. Despres JP, Moorjani S, Lupien PJ, Tremblay A, Nadeau A, Bouchard C. Regional distribution of body fat, plasma lipoproteins, and cardiovascular disease. Arteriosclerosis. 1990;10:497–511.[PubMed]
23. Despres JP. Health consequences of visceral obesity. Ann. Med. 2001;33:534–541.[PubMed]
24. Han TS, van Leer EM, Seidell JC, Lean ME. Waist circumference action levels in the identification of cardiovascular risk factors: prevalence study in a random sample. BMJ. 1995;311:1401–1405.[PMC free article][PubMed]
25. James WP. Assessing obesity: are ethnic differences in body mass index and waist classification criteria justified? Obes. Rev. 2005;6:179–181.[PubMed]
26. Zhu S, Heymsfield SB, Toyoshima H, Wang Z, Pietrobelli A, Heshka S. Race-ethnicity-specific waist circumference cutoffs for identifying cardiovascular disease risk factors. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2005;81:409–415.[PubMed]
27. Ashwell M, Hsieh SD. Six reasons why the waist-to-height ratio is a rapid and effective global indicator for health risks of obesity and how its use could simplify the international public health message on obesity. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 2005;56:303–307.[PubMed]
28. Lee CM, Huxley RR, Wildman RP, Woodward M. Indices of abdominal obesity are better discriminators of cardiovascular risk factors than BMI: a meta-analysis. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2008;61:646–653.[PubMed]
29. Misra A, Wasir JS, Vikram NK. Waist circumference criteria for the diagnosis of abdominal obesity are not applicable uniformly to all populations and ethnic groups. Nutrition. 2005;21:969–976.[PubMed]
30. Obesity in Asia Collaboration. Huxley R, Barzi F, Lee CM, Lear S, Shaw J, Lam TH, Caterson I, Azizi F, Patel J, Suriyawongpaisal P, Oh SW, Kang JH, Gill T, Zimmet P, James PT, Woodward M. Waist circumference thresholds provide an accurate and widely applicable method for the discrimination of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:3116–3118.[PubMed]
31. Huxley R, James WP, Barzi F, Patel JV, Lear SA, Suriyawongpaisal P, Janus E, Caterson I, Zimmet P, Prabhakaran D, Reddy S, Woodward M, Obesity in Asia Collaboration Ethnic comparisons of the cross-sectional relationships between measures of body size with diabetes and hypertension. Obes. Rev. 2008;9:53–61.[PubMed]
32. Deurenberg P, Deurenberg-Yap M, Guricci S. Asians are different from Caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationship. Obes. Rev. 2002;3:141–146.[PubMed]
33. WHO Expert Consultation Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet. 2004;363:157–163.[PubMed]
34. Huang HM, Chan GP. Assessing obesity in children and adolescents. Hu Li Tsa Chih - J. Nurs. 2009;56:78–82.[PubMed]
35. Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM, Dietz WH. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ. 2000;320:1240–1243.[PMC free article][PubMed]
36. Wang Y. Epidemiology of childhood obesity—methodological aspects and guidelines: what is new. Int J Obes Related Metab Disord: J Int Assoc Study Obes. 2004;8(Suppl 3):S21–28.[PubMed]
37. World Health Organization The WHO Child Growth Standards. Available online: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/ (accessed on 20 October 2009).
38. World Health Organization Growth reference data for 5−19 years. Available online: http://www.who.int/growthref/en/ (accessed on 20 October 2009).
39. Garza C, De Onis M. Symposium: A New 21st-Century International Growth Standard for Infants and Young Children—Introduction. J. Nutr. 2007;137:142–143.
40. World Health Organization WHO Child Growth Standards: Growth velocity based on weight, length and head circumference: Methods and development. Available online: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/velocity/tr3_velocity_report.pdf (accessed on 10 January 2010).
41. de Onis M, Onyango AW, Borghi E, Siyam A, Nishida C, Siekmann J. Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull. World Health Organization. 2007;85:660–667.[PMC free article][PubMed]
42. Cole TJ, Flegal KM, Nicholls D, Jackson AA. Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ. 2007;335:194.[PMC free article][PubMed]
43. Snijder MB, van Dam RM, Visser M, Seidell JC. What aspects of body fat are particularly hazardous and how do we measure them? Int. J. Epidemiol. 2006;35:83–92.[PubMed]
44. McTigue KM, Hess R, Ziouras J. Obesity in older adults: a systematic review of the evidence for diagnosis and treatment. Obesity. 2006;14:1485–1497.[PubMed]
45. Inelmen EM, Sergi G, Coin A, Miotto F, Peruzza S, Enzi G. Can obesity be a risk factor in elderly people? Obes. Rev. 2003;4:147–155.[PubMed]